Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mom's first "professional" bike ride

So, Dad decided to get a new fancy road bike and since he didn't want to be alone on his rides, or maybe he just felt guilty... He bought me a less fancy road bike to "keep up" (yeah right!) with him.

I went 7 miles is 40 minutes, I was running a 5K in 32 or was it 35 minutes before I had Abe so I don't think that is going to break any records, but it's a start. Fred is doing well though he did a 20 or 22 mile ride the other day. He's trying to work up to the 100 mile ride this summer in Little Rock but he doesn't have enough time to train properly. Oh the crazy unpredictable lives we live.


Riding your bike or running in Arkansas is pretty interesting. People literally stop and won't pass you when you're on the side of the road and since there aren't any sidewalks what's a girl to do? A couple of summers ago when I was running with the jogging stroller here (I always pull off into the grass when a car comes up), someone actually stopped to tell me I was being dangerous and putting my life in danger. I just smiled and waved thinking to myself, "At around 400 lbs. I'll probably live longer than you!".
I really love all the outdoor things to do here. Some friends even took us climbing on the only hill in Little Rock! I can't wait to go discover some of the swimming holes and new hiking spots. Fred is trying to get us camping this month, but with the baby I'm not looking forward to the dirt, fire and bugs! Maybe I'm just getting soft in my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment